There are times when you come up with an application having an amazing look and feel that you feel has an impressive appearance. You have loaded it with design that pleases anyone visually and full functional. However, you need to ask yourself if that will make it solid enough for the audience to stay with it. In most cases, the application will still be missing some of the most important elements that will make an impact on any audience. The mobile application users will need to determine if the application will be able to connect users with the micro interaction elements.
The small things people ignore are what will make big difference. That explains why most people will always discuss about the micro aspects of a user experience. Some of the major examples of micro interactions include, setting a status message, rating an app and replying to a push message. The micro interactions will always exist to engage users to their individual benefits and can always be found inside any applications features. The micro interactions will become Signature moments and become a strong brand reference whenever they assist the users to get the simple things done.
How Technology is Empowering & Simplifying Real
SEO Techniques to Lift Up Your Website in Google
We will always come across various types of micro interactions in our day-to-day basis. Each of the interactions will always serve a certain purpose and some will make users happy. Some of the most popular features of how the micro interactions have managed to play a crucial role in creating and popularizing brand statement are the Like feature in Facebook and the Hashtag feature in Twitter.
Below are functions Micro interactions will fulfill
- Enable users to be able to manipulate the on screen elements.
- Informing users and offering visual feedback concerning consequences of an action.
- Availing the user feedback or status quickly
The Key Design Principles of Micro Interactions
Trigger initiates the micro interaction. A good example is marking a page as favorite you can always click on the star icon.
The rules will always determine micro interactions behavior. While the roles are at the background, they will only be able to dictate how we experience micro interactions. Hence, the users will only be able to understand them using the next procedure or feedback followed by interaction. A good example is the animation that is used in informing users during loading of page will follow the background rule though the users will only see the animation.
Feedback refers to the area when the elements of design will help in relaying information to the user. It will inform the users on what has taken place during the interactions. A good example is that the users will always be informed the page is loading when moving graphic figure.
- Modes and Loops
The Loops and Modes will play a critical role in determining the micro interaction span, micro interaction repetition and its evolution with time. For example making us remember our last interaction will come under this.
You need to consider the following whenever you are designing micro interactions
- Ensure you keep them at minimum
- Consider the micro interactions over long-term use
- Try to prevent or reduce human error possibility
- Consider the micro interactions over long-term use.
The Major Elements of Micro interactions
- Having a clever design is good since it is never irritating and not too complex
- The response time is critical since the users will be expecting it to activate within the shortest time
- The text should always be at minimum though enough to inform users their expectations
- Simple colors, topography and structure will all add to clear and simple design
- Micro interactions should be designed to the device that is being used
Micro Interaction Design Tips
- The users should always be informed. You should never let the users in the dark when micro interaction is taking place. Ensure you always inform the users of what is taking place. The users will always be restless unless they are attended to quickly though a technically immediate response will never be possible. It is the mandate of the developers to ensure the users are kept informed of the background status, For example, ensure the progress bar is included whenever a download is taking place. Another example is when a page is loading, the users should be kept informed about what is taking place with things like a moving graphics or animation.
- The micro interactions should be kept contextual. It will remain a great challenge to fit all the information in a single screen as various devices continue to get smaller and movable just like wearable has and smart phones. This explains why it is important to display contextual information to avoid clutter. Ensure you always clear the cutter and stay relevant to the contexts of the user. For example, there is no need of sending an alarm if the user is switched to sleep mode.
- Push to Call actions. Apart from aiding the users to interact with the applications, the micro interactions will also be responsible in pushing and inspiring users to engage further. Easy messages such as Like option and “go to next page” will make the users to keep interacting. The call to action will help in keeping the users on board and help them make desirable actions.
- Make prominent changes: The micro interactions will always ensure the users are informed on the changes that have been made on the page. For example, when a new button has been designed in place of an older button in order to save space though you will need to ensure the users are informed in order not to get confused. A slight addition or small notification of the animation will enable the users to be informed. It is appropriate to make the users aware of micro interaction changes in order to avoid simple confusion whenever there is any change. Another example is when you have made changes to the app layout and the users are going through difficult time to find what they need. You need to offer any form of guidance in order to assist them with whatever they need.
- The design of the micro interactions should be interesting and simple in order to survive repeated use over a period. A good example is simple hovering CTA effect button will help suggest an action.
- You should always allow for the utmost simplicity and hit at the bulls eye without any pretension. Get a straightforward language, crisp and clean typeface, useful design and emotional colors.
- You should ensure the micro interaction is human and easy in order to be able to understand the emotional elements and text.
- Ensure the copy that has been used in micro interaction related to the user moment with a respected and lighthearted tone. For example, you should ensure the notification text relates to the movement of the user and that the warm tone garners more engagement.
- The design should provide vent and harmony to different elements to ensure the visual connection with the overall application design is made.
It is appropriate never to be so much obsessed with the design of micro interaction since it might lead to over design something that can easily kill its natural effectiveness. You should never worry if you are able to communicate with the correct tone and easy to understand design.